ADRIAN, Mich. -- The Siena Heights women's volleyball team split in its final two matches of the SHU Invitational Tournament on Saturday. The Saints fell to Spring Arbor 3-0 in the morning match before beating Huntington in the final match of the tournament, 3-1. Christine Tylutki (Monroe, Mich.) led the Saints attack with 21 kills on the day.
Final Scores: Game One: Spring Arbor 3, SHU 0 (25-23, 25-18, 25-23) | Game Two: SHU 3, Huntington 1 (18-25, 27-25, 30-28, 25-19)
Location: Adrian, Michigan (SHU Fieldhouse)
Record: Siena Heights (4-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Game One: Spring Arbor 3, SHU 0
The Saints were in every set in a 3-0 loss to Spring Arbor. The Cougars had a combined 10 attack errors in the three sets for attack percentages of .375, .306, and .216.
SAU edged the Saints 25-23 to take a 1-0 lead before the Cougars pulled out a seven-point win in game two that put SHU on the ropes. The Saints continued to fight back and barely missed on set three with another 25-23 defeat.
Game Two: SHU 3, Huntington 1
Siena needed extra points in both the second and third set to pull out the 3-1 victory. After the Foresters took game one 25-18, the Saints eeked out a 27-25 win to tie the score at one game apiece.
Game three ended with a 30-28 decision to SHU before the match was ended in the fourth game with a 25-19 advantage for the Saints.
• Tylutki finished the Spring Arbor contest with a match-high 14 kills along with two assists and seven digs. She finished the day by adding seven kills, 14 digs, and four blocks in the win against Huntington.
• Janel Ruhlman (North Branch, Mich.) contributed seven kills and five digs against the Cougars before leading the Saints with 12 kills in the second match.
• Carrigan Gray (Bowling Green, Ohio) totaled 59 assists to pace the offense for both matches. She tallied 29 against Spring Arbor and 30 against Huntington.
• Alli Conly (Linden, Mich.) tied for a match-high 21 digs against Huntington.
• Bianca Negron (Adrian, Mich.) led the Siena defense against the Cougars with 12 digs. She was also the lone Saint named to the all-tournament team.
• SAU Leaders: Sydney Ritz (10 kills), Hope Notter (18 assists), Alyssa Walker (10 digs)
• Huntington Leaders: Brandy Michie (20 kills), Jenna Tacosik (33 assists), Ariene Butler (21 digs).
Sydney Ritz, Spring Arbor
Stephaney Fifield, Spring Arbor
Paige Merrick, Campbellsville
Katie Johnson, Campbellsville
Bianca Negron, Siena Heights
Brooklyn Withey, St. Francis (Ill.)
Jenna Tacosik, Huntington
MVP: Sydney Ritz, Spring Arbor & Paige Merrick, Campbellsville
The Saints open up conference play on Wednesday, September 5, when they host Madonna at 7:00 p.m., EST, in the SHU Fieldhouse.